Creating Culturally Inclusive Events
Organisations have come a long way in the past decade, reforming most of their business and hiring practices to ensure equal opportunity for people of different ages, genders and cultural backgrounds.
But how do you ensure inclusiveness when it comes to event planning? And are there specific steps you can take to ensure people from diverse backgrounds feel welcomed and motivated to attend?
When organising an event, you have the power to help people break barriers, bridge gaps and create new relationships. And this is often the mark of a memorable event, where attendees get to enjoy a new experience while meeting interesting new people.
Why it’s important to break down barriers with events
There are many benefits to creating culturally inclusive events, such as:
- Appealing to a wider audience
- Facilitating socialisation between guests who may not normally have the opportunity to meet each other
- Demonstrating your commitment to diversity
- Forging relationships with new networks and groups
And by nature, events provide the perfect opportunity to achieve these and much more. Most guests already feel relaxed, happy and open at an event – which is the ideal atmosphere to encourage connections between individuals from all walks of life.
How to bridge gaps
In order to create a culturally inclusive event, there are certain steps you should take in the initial stages of planning, such as:
- Collaboration: Make a point of collaborating with people from various cultural backgrounds who can shed some light on customs and taboos.
- Venue: Be cognisant that certain venues are inappropriate from a cultural or religious standpoint.
- Theme: Choose a theme that openly embraces diversity, and plans opportunities for guests to mingle with other guests that they may not usually have taken the time to get to know.
- Food: Consider the dietary requirements of those who are expected to attend, such as a need to provide Halal or Kosher options.
- Beverages: Find a way to separate alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, to make it more comfortable for those who do not drink alcohol.
- Invitations: Write part of your invitation in another language, or provide an RSVP slip with checkboxes for Halal, Kosher and Vegetarian requirements.
- Marketing: Openly state your intentions to provide a meaningful, memorable event where people can connect in a safe place to celebrate each other’s differences.
Bring it together by working together
The key to creating a culturally inclusive event is to make diversity and inclusiveness an intention right from the start.
Don’t just assume that taking certain actions will accommodate all of your guests. Proactively seek out others who can help you gain a deeper understanding of a group’s cultural wants and needs, and actively incorporate these into your event.
At End2End Events, we believe that the best events are those which inspire guests to connect with each other.
And with that in mind, we would be honoured to invite you to our lavish E2E Springtime Tea at The Gardens House of The Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne.
Home to 180 different cultures, we couldn’t think of a better place than amidst the beauty of The Melbourne Royal Botanic Gardens to host an event designed to inspire connections, embrace diversity and encourage inclusion. The E2E Springtime Tea will take place on Thursday 19 October from 3 pm to 6 pm at The Home of the most Exotic Plants at Royal Botanic Gardens, Birdwood Avenue, Melbourne. Register your attendance at events.end2endevents.com.au
Don’t miss the opportunity to be transported in time and place on a regular Thursday afternoon, where you will be guaranteed to connect over a cup of tea as the first step to breaking barriers
Drinks. Entertainment. Speakers. Desserts. Savouries. Teas. Views. Gardens. Interiors.
Just some of what to expect!
And if you are looking for a tailored approach to creating events that break down barriers, bridge gaps and facilitate relationships within your organisation.
Call the Event Experts Melbourne on 1300095123 or complete the contact form below.